Backyard Video Series
Think of trees as your friendsPlant them, maintain them, and here's what they will do for you:
- Reduce your summer cooling costs by as much as 30 percent and your winter heating costs by more than 20 percent
- Increase your property value by as much as 15 percent
- Help keep your family healthier by trapping dust, pollen and smoke, resulting in cleaner, cooler air
- Provide a beautiful, quiet atmosphere that helps shade your home and encourages you to visit with your neighbors or get outside and exercise
- Provide environmental benefits by producing oxygen, absorbing carbon dioxide, preventing soil erosion, improving water quality, and serving as wildlife habitat.
How to keep your trees safe and healthy
- Involve an International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) arborist. Learn which of your trees need watering, fertilizing, pruning and mulching during the course of the year. Let your arborist advise you on proper maintenance for your trees to minimize potential damage from severe storms. On a periodic basis, update your tree assessments and plan for any needed major care.
- Conduct a self-survey. Periodically, note any changes to tree structures. Call your arborist friend, if needed.
- Does that tree need to come down? Before pruning/removing a tree, consult an expert. DIY efforts too often result in injury to persons or property. When in doubt, call an arborist!